Safety Inspection for Bucket Trucks, Lifts
BTS Equipment can provide a safety inspection on your trucks & equipment, so everyone goes home safe. At BTS, we also have on staff, OHSA safety inspection and training personnel. Other resources available include Tree Care Industry and Heavy Equipment Operations training and consulting. We are a MUST Certified company. We also have affiliations with MOPSA, (Michigan Outdoor Professional Service Association) as well as TCIA , ISA, AED and the Michigan Chamber of Commerce.
Aerial Lift & Bucket Truck Safety - Protect Yourself
Aerial lifts are vehicle-mounted, boom-supported aerial platforms, such as cherry pickers or bucket trucks, used to access utility lines and other above ground job-sites. The major causes of fatalities are falls, electrocutions, and collapses or tip overs. Employers must take measures to ensure the safe use of aerial lifts by their workers if they are required to use this equipment in the course of their employment.
Safe Work Practices
- Make sure that workers who operate aerial lifts are properly trained in the safe use of the equipment.
- Maintain and operate elevating work platforms according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Never override hydraulic, mechanical, or electrical safety devices.
- Never move the equipment with workers in an elevated platform unless this is permitted by the manufacturer.
- Do not allow workers to position themselves between overhead hazards, such as joists and beams, and the rails of the basket. Movement of the lift could crush the worker(s).
- Maintain a minimum clearance of at least 10 feet, or 3 meters, away from the nearest energized overhead lines.
- Always treat power lines, wires and other conductors as energized, even if they are down or appear to be insulated.
- Use a body harness or restraining belt with a lanyard attached to the boom or basket to prevent the worker(s) from being ejected or pulled from the basket.
- Set the brakes and use wheel chocks when on an incline.
- Use outriggers, if provided.
- Do not exceed the load limits of the equipment. Allow for the combined weight of the worker, tools and materials.
Are you fully aware of all the services needed to make your bucket or forestry trucks & equipment safe? Do you have the expertise and staff to make your equipment work safely? Call BTS Equipment. We can help.